Friday, March 25, 2011

Leaders of the Deathwing

The HQ cadre for the Deathwing is finally done being painted.
Deathwing Chaplain, note my Poisonangels Chapter symbol on the left greave. I'm especially happy with the scrollwork. Have to improve my picture taking skills, though.
He's still wet from the matte varnish. Note the Deathwing symbol in red lower down on the scroll hanging from his belt. You can also see that I've attempted to shade my reds.
Above and below photos show my first attempt at Non metallic metal on a 3-D structure, meaning the Iron Halo projecting upward behind his head, and on the crux terminatus.
And then below we have the Deathwing Librarian. I wasn't sure what to do with the back of the large upright, ended up just putting a pentagram and leaving it at that. Tried NMM silver on the hanging scroll cases.
Made a first effort at translucent stone/marble, on the Forcestaff shaft and it's head. My wife says it looks like xxx. Note the freehand celtic knot on the tabard. Also attempted a blue chrome NMM on the tubing under the left arm.
The scroll on his back is a garbled latin translation saying the equivalent of "Expeller of chaos from Acreon"
I'm reasonably happy with the way this shoulder book turned out. Worked the red templar cross that is found on all my veteran models into the book, since there wasn't a good spot for it anywhere else that I thought I actually get paint accurately. I work with some small brushes, but I've seen work that is even smaller and more precise, so I'm going to search for a 30/0 brush (my smallest is a 25/0, but my old sable 20/0 brush actually lets me get smaller lines than it does, so I'm still trying to figure out what it is I need to buy for consistent very narrow lines).
You can see the Futhark runes on the edges of the tabard if you look closely. More gold NMM on the halo, and blued chrome on the tubing on the right and left of the chest plate. Note the chapter symbol for the Poison Angels on the right knee.
Close up the face to close this out.
Next up on the painting desk is the Ravenwing, so I can start fielding a proper Dark Angels force of bikes and terminators. I'll complete that concept with a drop pod dread and before moving on to my long awaited Drop Pod army. There's always more to do...

No comments: